Sunday, June 24, 2012

Meal planning

As part of the Fitness for Foodies course, they encourage you to plan your meals, so you're not as likely to be disorganised and eat something fast and processed. I don't really eat THAT much processed food anyway, so this isn't a big change for me, but eating on the fly is pretty common. Going to the school canteen doesn't usually end well.

So I've planned. I enjoyed it immensely! It just meant that I had an excuse to flick through cookbooks on the couch (AFTER a run of course!). I remembered there were a few recipes from Movida that I wanted to try, and so I've picked 3 recipes from that beautiful book. I think this is going to be a great opportunity for me to try more recipes from my cookbooks, as I'm forced to plan and make lists, which makes it easier if you know exactly what you're cooking!

Heres roughly what I'm eating this week...

Breakfast
Porridge with stewed apples and cinnamon OR blueberries and raw honey
Scrambled eggs on rye toast
Museli with skim milk and fruit
Rye toast with avocado spread and baked beans

Dinner
Tomato and cumin soup with a poached egg (I'm adding meatballs) from Movida Rustica.
Roast cod with garlic and chillies, with salad and roast sweet potato, from Movida Rustica.
Roasted capsicum and tomato salad with grilled chicken and boiled new potatoes from Movida Rustica.
Chicken cacciatore with Three Birds sauce from the Urban Locavore box, with roast cauliflower.

Lunch will be leftovers, or tuna/fetta/tomato/onion pasta or couscous salad, with some ryvitas.
For snacks, Im going to make a batch of hummus (which I loooove) and have roast/raw carrot sticks and cauli to dip with. Ill make a different dip each week, romesco is a fave, as is roast eggplant.

I don't think I'm really eating typical "diet food". These are tasty meals, they just happen to be healthy. The main thing I'm trying to do is avoid processed, empty carbs like sugar and white bread, and focussing on better carbs. I'm not going to go down the no carb road. I have before, and I felt shitty. Good carbs like potatoes with the skins on, and wholemeal pasta are ok!

What do you eat when you're on a health kick??

3 comments:

  1. Meal planning definately helps with not having to think of what to eat at the end of a long day and makes you be more healthy. You've got a good variety too and they're wholesome meals which is what you need in this colder weather, like you said no point in pretending to enjoy lettuce leaves when you need a proper meal to feel satisfied. Good luck with it, be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start. Everything sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a good variety too and they're wholesome meals which is what you need in this colder weather, like you said no point in pretending to enjoy lettuce leaves when you need a proper meal to feel satisfied. Good luck with it, be strong!
    Decorative concrete Melbourne

    ReplyDelete