As a part of my 5 course set menu I did for the Breakfast with Benefits, the first one that I presented my guests with was a baked spiced ricotta, with walnuts, raw honey and boozy fruits!
Its a really simple, healthy recipe that gives you a filling and delicious breakfast or snack for the week. It really is an everyday food, as you can be really creative with the flavourings you include in the mix, as well as the things you serve it with. You wont get sick of it if you change the flavours from week to week! Its high in protein and low in sugar and fat - a perfect, healthy, low carb breakfast if you pair it with the right stuff!
Heres the recipe, adapted from one by Janella Purcell:
1kg fresh ricotta (better to get it from the deli counter as I did)
2 free range eggs
2 tbsp honey
Walnuts to serve
1 good handful of dried fruits (I used flame/golden raisins and cranberries)
1) Preheat the oven to 150C and take your dried fruits and put them in a container to soak with the cointreau. Overnight is best!
2) Mix ricotta, eggs, honey and cinnamon in a bowl, making sure its well combined.
3) Pour into a loaf tin and cover with foil. Place the loaf tin in a bain marie (a roasting pan with water coming halfway up the side of the loaf tin)
4) Cook for 1 hour, or until its firm to the touch.
5) Take the ricotta out of the oven, and leave it to cool completely, before turning it out onto a plate or board.
6) To serve, sprinkle with walnuts, a generous pour of honey, and the soaked fruits with the rest of the cointreau (test it first though, if its been soaked overnight its not so boozy but if you only soaked them for an hour it might be a different story!)
7) Enjoy spread over toasted sourdough, or with grilled fruit and toast.
|Photo from Breakfast with Benefits, c/o Carol Annes Kitchen|